On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
>>
>> There is obviously some interaction going on between my webapp
>> and tomcat's logging system that I don't know about.
>
> Many Tomcat components associated with a specific webapp will use the
> webapp's logger.  If your log4j initialization fails (which appeared to be
> the case), there may well be no where to put the messages.  You can try
> removing the log4j usage from your webapp (probably too hard), or correct its
> initialization so that it is available.
>
>  - Chuck

I don't know if my log4j initialization is failing, or if there is
just a gap in time where tomcat sees that my webapp is using log4j -
but my webapp has not yet had a chance to init log4j - my webapp
dynamically configures log4j with a pattern like this:

LogManager.resetConfiguration();
PropertyConfigurator.configure(properties);

fairly early in it's startup sequence.  But, when I get a
listenerStart error, I know that this code hasn't yet executed (due to
a missing system.out message)

This also seems to fit with that other warning I get during the startup:

INFO: Deploying web application archive ap.war
(org.apache.commons.digester.Digester).
logPath: /opt/NetProvision/nn/log/

The 4th line, above, is printed when my log4j sequence completes.  So
it would appear that something within my webapp tried to log using
log4j, but log4j wasn't yet configured - hence the warning about the
missing appender.

What would I need to do to make log4j within my webapp have a
temporary configuration which would log to the console until the point
when my webapp executes it's dynamic configuration?

I'll have to hunt through all of my 3rd party jar files... I wonder if
one of them has a log4j config file that is being picked up.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm a whole lot closer to the real
source of this problem than I was when I started tracking it down.

Dan