>> What would I need to do to make log4j within my webapp
>> have a temporary configuration which would log to the
>> console until the point when my webapp executes it's
>> dynamic configuration?
>
> Create a log4j.xml or log4j.properties file in WEB-INF/classes.

Bingo.  That makes my log4j warnings go away, and now I get the stack
traces when the startup fails due to munged listener or filter.

Thanks!

It's certainly not obvious to me why Tomcat is trying to use log4j
from my webapp to log an error about a class missing from my webapp
which prevents deployment.  It seems like failures during deployment
of a webapp should always be routed back to tomcat's logging system.

Judging from what I found online when I first started hunting this
down, I'm not the first person that has had this happen, either.

Time to go fix all my build scripts to introduce a temporary log4j
configuration to handle the time span before my real configuration can
occur.