> From: Jordan Michaels [mailto:jor...@viviotech.net]
> Subject: tomcat, mod_jk, and apache
>
> I'm using mod_jk with apache and I was wondering if it would be
> possible to configure mod_jk in a way that I wouldn't have to
> specify the <Host> entries in Tomcat's server.xml file in addition
> to apache.

(I'll assume by "apache" you really mean httpd, since both Tomcat and httpd are
Apache products.)

Let's turn the question around: do you really need httpd in front of Tomcat?
There are certainly valid reasons for doing so (e.g., running PHP, poor man's
load balancing, etc.), but is your environment one of those?

If you do need to use httpd, can you get away with a single <Host> in Tomcat,
and simply differentiate the varied requests via webapp name?  (Using
mod_rewrite might help here.)

Another possibility is having a single source for your host setup, with some
kind of script/program to generate both the httpd and Tomcat config files from
that.  (That could turn out to be a marketable product.)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.