Pid:

Yes, I've removed the explicit mapping.

"Sometimes" because when I use the URL http://myserver:8080/Construction
(direct to Tomcat listening port) it works fine (HTML is rendered).
When I use http://myserver/Construction (via reverse proxy forwarding through
Apache httpd) it fails (I get HTML markup in the browser window).
When I use http://myserver/Construction/index.html (where index.html is mapped
in web.xml to a controller servlet and index.html is my sole welcome-file) it
works fine.

I'm not using AJP.  I'm just using straight reverse-proxy style HTTP forwarding
with mod_proxy, with this snippet from my httpd.conf file:

ProxyPass        /Construction http://localhost:8080/Construction
ProxyPassReverse /Construction http://localhost:8080/Construction

My Apache httpd docroot has always been separate and distinct from my Tomcat
webapps directory.

David