What about "http://myserver/Construction/"; (note extra slash)

> When I use http://myserver/Construction/index.html (where index.html is
> mapped in web.xml to a controller servlet and index.html is my sole
> welcome-file) it works fine.
>
> I'm not using AJP.  I'm just using straight reverse-proxy style HTTP
> forwarding with mod_proxy, with this snippet from my httpd.conf file:

(Sorry, I spotted that after I'd sent the reply.)

> ProxyPass        /Construction http://localhost:8080/Construction
> ProxyPassReverse /Construction http://localhost:8080/Construction
>
> My Apache httpd docroot has always been separate and distinct from my Tomcat
> webapps directory.

Looking at your headers again, I see that Tomcat is trying to serve the
result as plain html.  What happens if you use "index.jsp" as the sole
welcome file (and map that to the controller, obviously)?

Check "index.jsp" is included in the DirectoryIndex in HTTPD.