Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]

I also wonder what the purpose of this attribute really is, in fact.
Should this not always be left to "case sensitive = true" ?

Unless you're begging for trouble, or have a really, really sloppy programming
staff.

- but under a case-sensitive filesystem, what would be a good reason to
set it to "false" ?

Extremely lazy users, or non-browser clients that were badly and inconsistently
programmed.

Well, just follow me for a minute.

Suppose we do have a case-sensitive filesystem, and we set this attribute to false. The URL is case-sensitive anyway. Or rather, let's say that it is treated "as is".

Now suppose there exists a file in the (case-sensitive) filesystem called "ABC.HTML".
And suppose the client asks for "/abc.html".

Now if the attribute is false, does that mean that Tomcat will try all possible case variations between "abc.html" and "ABC.HTML" before it gives up ?

And otherwise, what's the point ?