Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6.0.18 access files case-insensitive
>>
>> Since the filesystem is case-sensitive, it may well have both
>> "abc.html" and "ABC.HTML" in the same directory. So which one
>> would it pick to keep ?
>
> Presumably the first or last one encountered.  A clever algorithm could keep
> them all (via a case-insensitive hash) and then try for an exact match; if
> that failed, pick one.  Would seem like a lot of work for little benefit.
>
>> So, back to the Tomcat developers.  What /is/ the point of the
>> caseSensitive attribute in the <Context> element ?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know...

As far as I can tell from the archives, it was introduced as a backwards
compatibility option for Tomcat 3.1.1 when Tomcat was made case
sensitive on Windows for security reasons. [1]

It this is correct, it is probably safe to remove it by now ;)

I've made a proposal to do just that for Tomcat 7 on the dev list. [2]

Mark

[1] http://markmail.org/message/6o6w2wpgqcys6vwx
[2] http://markmail.org/message/nl7usm7345wh2vvg