Just to add: I'm using JDK 1.5

Thank you for your very prompt replies... There's one additional question
that I had ... I was initially running tomcat with the -Xrs JVM flag... but
if I try to take a thread dump, the Tomcat process crashes and I get
nothing... if I remove the VM flag, I can take a thread dump successfully
and the app continues to run...

This makes sense given that according
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/java.html#options Sun's
documentation
Ctrl + Break thread dumps are not available with the -Xrs flag turned on...
and given what's mentioned
http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2003/sendSignal/ here  and
http://www.adaptj.com/main/tracehowtos#ht0 here  the process exiting on a
Ctrl + Break is the expected behavior when -Xrs is specified as a JVM
option.

My question is:
- what are the implications of removing the -Xrs flag..
- why would the flag be enabled for a webapp running as a service?  What
benefits if any does it provide?

Thanks,

Omair