First of all thank you.
Suse gyus are not responsible for this step. Only development in the firm.
>From the last release of the product tomcat 3.2.1 has been used.
Now it has to be used tomcat-5.5. or distro package from SuSE.

If I understand right then, if in my directory /opt/sso/servlet is WEB-INF and
WEB-INF/classes
than there has to be META-INF as well and applet will work successfully.
But question regarding this behaviour.
Let's say that the our URL http://<IP_Address>/SSO/servlet will be there.
How can I tell to tomcat that this URL will be mapped to /opt/sso/servlet?
In /opt/sso/servlet/WEB-INF/web.xml is existing and
/opt/sso/servlet/META-INF/context.xml is existing now as well.
I know that this is the question of beginner but
how the tomcat knows that the servlet SSO/servlet is mapped to /opt/sso/servlet.
Is it enough to have web.xml and context.xml files?

Sorry for mistification. As you wrote CATALINA_BASE and CATALINA_HOME are used.
Directories which you mentioned are correct on the our system.

As you wrote all apps are in webapps/ROOT/... directory.
Do you mean that all servlets always should be stored there?

Thanks for the help.

regards / S pozdravem
Petr Hráček