Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Paul Taylor [mailto:paul_t...@fastmail.fm]
Subject: Re: How do you handle 'rewrite queries' ?

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>SearchServerServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

The above causes the SearchServerServlet to be invoked when there's no path
specified in the URI.  You want to add a mapping for /ws/type/ to target the
same servlet.

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>SearchServerServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/ws/type</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

Note that you can use a wildcard character ("*") if you have multiple patterns to
match.  In fact, you may be able to simply modify the original mapping to have a
<url-pattern> of /*, but I haven't tried it.

 - Chuck

Thanks actually the default is not picking up the root case, I've got a simpler related issue by war get deployed as searchserver in webapps, is there a way I can leave it then and get it to pick up from root

i.e

http://localhost:8080?query=%22R.E.S%22&type=artist&fmt=xml

instead of

http://localhost:8080/searchserver?query=%22R.E.S%22&type=artist&fmt=xml

and how do i get it maps to port 80 so this will work

http://localhost/searchserver?query=%22R.E.S%22&type=artist&fmt=xml

I know these are basic questions but every time I use Tomcat ( I last used it three years ago) I have real problems getting these things working

thanks Paul