Christopher Schultz wrote:

Paul,

On 8/5/2009 11:30 AM, Paul Taylor wrote:
Thanks actually the default is not picking up the root case, I've got a
simpler related issue by war get deployed as searchserver in webapps, is
there a way I can leave it then and get it to pick up from root

i.e

http://localhost:8080?query=%22R.E.S%22&type=artist&fmt=xml
instead of
http://localhost:8080/searchserver?query=%22R.E.S%22&type=artist&fmt=xml

Deploying into the root context is easy: just name your WAR file
ROOT.war (case matters!) instead of searchserver.war.

You URL will have to be
http://localhost:8080/?query=%22R.E.S%22&type=artist&fmt=xml (note the
additional slash) because the host must be separated from the path by a
slash.

and how do i get it maps to port 80 so this will work
http://localhost/searchserver?query=%22R.E.S%22&type=artist&fmt=xml

If you are only using Tomcat (no web server out front), you have a few

1. Just change your <Connector> in conf/server.xml from port="8080"
   to port="80".
   - On UNIX, this requires Tomcat to run as root,
     which is highly discouraged. You can use jsvc to run as non-root
     and still bind to port 80

It will be on UNIX so using jsvc looks simple enough OR i could install Apache. IM wondering if Apache is more the more normal way to do things, Im trying to keep things as simple as possible for a non Java/TOmcat guy to install to linux.