So are you saying that I can't get what I want using TC 5.5? Is upgrading
to TC 6 is the only option?

Thanks
Muthu

From:
"Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
To:
users@tomcat.apache.org
Date:
09/04/2009 11:44 PM
Re: how to unwrap a Request from RequestFacade
Sent by:
news <n...@ger.gmane.org>

<muthu.chan...@sectra.se> wrote in message
.
> Thanks Chris.  Still not having any luck. Let me give you the snippet of
> the code so that you can understand the problem better:
>
> I have a servlet like this
>
> protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
> response) throws ServletException, IOException {
>
>           // some code
>

>                RequestFacade rf = (RequestFacade) request;    // this
> throws a class cast exception
>                Request realRequest = new
> MyRequestFacade().getRequest(rf);
>               Context ctx = _realRequest.getContext();
>               StandardManager sessionMgr = (StandardManager)
> ctx.getManager();
>               sessionMgr.getActiveSessions();
>
> }
>

> When I debug I see that the request object coming into doGet method of
the
> servlet is RequestFacade but I can't assign it directly to a
RequestFacade
> object or can't type cast it. Although when I type cast it I don't get
any
> compilation error but at runtime it throws as a ClassCastException.
>
> Am I doing something stupid here? :-( Looks simple it is so frustrating
as
> when I debug I can open the RequestFacade object and see the Request
> Object, Context, Manager and all the information I need but I don't know
> how to access it.
>
> Any thoughts from fresh pair eyes?

Yes, TC 5.5 still has the server ClassLoader, so the RequestFacade is
loaded
in a ClassLoader that isn't the parent of your ClassLoader.  You need to
do
one or more of the following:
1) upgrade to TC 6.0 so that the Request and RequestFacade are in your
ClassLoader hierarchy (in the default settings)
2) declare your webapp 'privileged' in your context.xml (giving access to
the server ClassLoader).
3) I think all the info that you want is exposed by JMX, so use JMX to
retrieve it.
4) use introspection to grab the fields.  On 5.5 this will be painful,
since
you have to use introspection everywhere (none of the classes will be in
your ClassLoader hierachy)
5) change your catalina.properties file to have the same hierachy as TC 6
(but will get over-written on upgrades).