I've tried each of the aforementioned GC options individually with the
following other parameters:
JAVA_OPTS="<GC Param> -Xms368m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:+PrintGC
-XX:+PrintGCDetails -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"

The *only option* that did not cause the startup process to halt
indefinitely on startup was the Serial GC option. I tried this one on 4 or 5
successive attempts and the server started up in under 30s. The others
halted indefinitely (i.e. at least 5-10m before I finally killed the
process) during GC as an incomplete GC log statement was the last thing in
the catalina.out file.

- Does this indicate some kind of threading problem in this Java env?
- Does the option "DoEscapeAnalysis" still use a parallel gc?
- Is the experimental more similar to the parallel or the serial?

Thanks,
Bradley