--- On Sat, 9/12/09, Daniel Blumenthal <dan...@wordchamp.com> wrote:

> From: Daniel Blumenthal <dan...@wordchamp.com>
> Subject: directory structure
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 9:42 PM
> I'm reorganizing an existing project
> according to the generally accepted
> Java directory structure
> (http://java.sun.com/blueprints/code/projectconventions.html#23136),
> and
> everything seems to be working all right, but there's one
> thing I don't
> understand that seems like it should be a common problem
> with a common
> solution.  Currently, when I build a project for
> testing, it compiles the
> Java source, bundles everything into a .war, inserts it
> into the Tomcat
> webapps directory, and expands it.  However, in order
> to make a small change
> to a jsp file, css file, etc., I have to go through the
> entire build process
> again.
>
> I'd like to be able to set up a system in which I can make
> a change to a css
> file (or whatever) and see the change after reloading the
> page - i.e.,
> without having to run another build.

If you're referring to during the development phase, the IDEs I've worked with
such as NetBeans and Eclipse does it for you automatically.  I don't remember
if NetBeans actually make a war or not but it does autodeploy.  Eclipse will
auto synchronize and sometimes it will auto-redeploy the app or restart TC
depending on what was changed.  What IDE are you using?  If you're referring to
production, isn't a bit a dangerous/risky to be doing changes as you mention?
Production should be touched after thorough testing of the app on development
server, correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Tommy