> If you're referring to during the development phase

Yes, during the development phase.

> the IDEs
> I've worked with such as NetBeans and Eclipse does it for you
> automatically.  I don't remember if NetBeans actually make a
> war or not but it does autodeploy.  Eclipse will auto
> synchronize and sometimes it will auto-redeploy the app or
> restart TC depending on what was changed.  What IDE are you
> using?

Hmm...  I tend to use Eclipse primarily as a Java-aware text editor
(control-click to get to a declaration is invaluable), but my build is done
using ant.

My old solution was to simply do all of my development inside the tomcat
webapps directory.  This worked all right, except that it was incredibly
ugly and caused bizarre problems from time to time (e.g., when allowing
tomcat to autoload altered classes).  I'm trying to get everything set up
"right".

The only way I can see to do it is to play weird tricks with symbolic links,
but this seems like a bad solution.

Thoughts?