From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:07 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Compression and SSL

> Can I get more granular?  I'd be happy for a pointer to a good reference
> on the subject.

There are probably tons on Google, if you look for "website
optimi[z,s]ation" or the like.

Personally, I have found that a very large proportion of websites on the
WWW are slow because their designers just /don't think/.  If loading
each page requires 10 or more requests to the server and you fail to
organise stuff so that it can be cached by the browser, then you should
not be surprised that your site feels slow.  But it never ceases to
amaze me how many sites ignore the simple common-sense principles.
I would bet that carefully examining what you are actually sending in
your pages and cleaning it up would yeld more benefits, faster, than
playing around with protocols, compression and the like.

*******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.