There is no reason it would hurt performance (and why are you mentioning
sleeping threads?).

In any case, you need to count the number of bytes transferred, and the
filter would do just that. Then you probably need to persists this
information along with the logged in user somewhere.

These tasks need to be done somewhere. If you plan on doing it in tomcat,
filters looks like the best spot.