> From: SRama [mailto:su...@techie.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat really need Shutdown port
>
> As of my knowledge and other tomcat related document and experts
> response it’s states we need tomcat port need to shuts down for
> windows.

Read all the responses; you do *not* need the shutdown port in Windows.  If
running Tomcat as a service, the shutdown works with the port set to -1 by
generating a shutdown signal to the Tomcat process.  If running Tomcat from a
command prompt, use CTRL-C to terminate Tomcat cleanly.

> I am giving link to the each application on destop and start of
> menu once user click the link it point static page and it will
> call startup.bat file so each application same line I am giving
> link and it will point same startup.bat file.

That's bad; each time the user clicks the link a new instance of Tomcat will
start, all but the first of which will die due to port conflicts.  Sloppy, at
best.  You should have the links target your own script that determines whether
or not Tomcat is running and starts it only when needed.

> Next import point we are not shutdown server because user don’t
> want to see the tomcat console so we are just leaving server when
> user will restart machine then will system will remove instance
> from memory.

That would be a guaranteed reason for me *not* to buy your application.

> My question is there any way to set up time to stop the server like
> after two or 3 hours?

Configure a lifecycle listener for each webapp; if there's no activity for any
of them over the desired time period, send the shutdown signal.

It's probably easiest for you to leave the shutdown port configured, but use a
different password.  Since the user has complete control of the machine, the
user can kill the Tomcat process any time he or she chooses, so the presence of
the shutdown port listener is not really a concern.

- Chuck

attachments from all computers.