2010/1/12 Carl <c...@etrak-plus.com>:
> Peter and Andy,
>
> Thanks for your quick responses.
>
> Memory:  Physical - $GB
>               Used - 2.4GB to 3.0 GB (according to top... have never seen it
> above 3GB)
>               Swap - 19GB, none ever used (or, at least I have never seen
> any used.)
>
> The above are all from top.
>
> The 2.4GB is after the JVM just crashed (after running less than an hour
> after having run for five days with nary a blip) and I just restarted Tomcat
> (customers are running right now) so it is a little higher than normal
> because it has perhaps .5GB+ unrecovered from the point at which the JVM
> crashed.

You started the new Tomcat instance using the same port numbers that
were used by the old one?

If so, the old one has really died, but how come that the memory was not freed?

> I checked dmsg but saw nothing that looked out of the ordinary.

dmesg they say

In OOM killer scenario it can be sometimes caused by some maintenance
task scheduled with cron. But an OOM killer which does not free memory
would be very much useless.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko