From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:56 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: [OT] Securing Tomcat Applications from Reverse Engineering

Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> André -
> Welcome to the world of small business, for-profit software development.
> This is a more common attitude that you might be aware.

I was being somewhat ironic.  Being myself a small for-profit software
development business, I am well aware of the circumstances.
;-)
But here are another few arguments (apart from the ones I already
mentioned in another post) :
If you are a small software business whose customers are businesses that
use your product, and your product is good and your prices are
reasonable, chances are good that none of your customers is even going
to bother taking the time to try to copy your product.  If they
themselves are small/medium businesses, what would they do with it ?
They have their own business to run.  They are not a software company,
you are.
And if they are big, they will never risk their reputation and their
money trying it.
And, agreeing with another post by Leon, you are probably much better
off spending your time improving and supporting your product, than
developing ways to try protecting it from unfair copying.
Things would be different of course if your product was something
destined for the mass-market, or if you intend to sell it through
resellers, or if your customers are themselves software companies.
I will not mention the fact that in all of the above cases, your highest
level of risk is probably inside, not outside.
And if you really insist on protecting your code, then I am afraid that
Java is not the best choice of tool.
And I'll finish with another sarcastic note about code obfuscation : in
my experience, it is not really necessary to put a lot of effort into
this.  Other people's code tends to be naturally obfuscated, all by itself.

*******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.