> Since the failures occurred before the print options were used, I guess that
> rules out any possibility of the OS getting upset at the JVM calling for
> timing information.  Back to square one, where the most likely culprit is
> still the Linux OOM killer.
>
>  - Chuck

Have you checked:

/var/log/messages for this:
Out of Memory: Killed process [PID] [process name]

Or tried disabling oom-killer?
# echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/oom-kill
# echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/oom-kill

>From my own experiences with JVMs, it seems more likely that you have
a JVM segfault occurring - which is supposed to be giving you a log.
Not that the log is always that helpful.  But it might be :)

I've had a heck of a time finding stable JVMs on Linux running my
workload - especially a 1.6 JVM.  I was stuck on 1.5 for ages because
none of the 1.6's would run without randomly segfaulting.