To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat dies suddenly

Since the failures occurred before the print options were used, I guess that rules out any possibility of the OS getting upset at the JVM calling for timing information. Back to square one, where the most likely culprit is still the Linux OOM killer.

- Chuck

Have you checked:

/var/log/messages for this:
Out of Memory: Killed process [PID] [process name]

Or tried disabling oom-killer?
# echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/oom-kill
# echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/oom-kill

From my own experiences with JVMs, it seems more likely that you have
a JVM segfault occurring - which is supposed to be giving you a log.
Not that the log is always that helpful.  But it might be :)

I've had a heck of a time finding stable JVMs on Linux running my
workload - especially a 1.6 JVM.  I was stuck on 1.5 for ages because
none of the 1.6's would run without randomly segfaulting.