To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 10:31 AM
Subject: RE: Tomcat dies suddenly

I've been following this thread with interest, but haven't weighed in since I'm doing much development these days. I have to say that I'm agreeing with Chuck and Chris that it is a resource issue - especially since it doesn't appear to be a problem unless under load. Also, the OOP mentioned that it doesn't seem to occur if only the production app is being hit. It takes someone using one of the other copies first to generate the problem.
So the questions occur:

1) Are you absolutely positive that there is no code that could be calling exit()? 2) Are you sharing jar files or classes between the apps? If so, place a separate copy in the WEB-INF/lib directory of each webapp, and remove them from the "shared" location, to insure that you're not having an issue with one app stomping on another. The combined load on a resource in a shared class could be overloading some built-in limit, and that class could be causing the fail without logging an error, or you're not catching the error to log it. 3) You have the disk space, try turning on "debug level" in all your logging utilities and see what the apps were last doing.

Jeff

*******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.