Carl wrote:
.. a lot of messages, and I have not yet read all of them, but I sympathise with the predicament.

I am very far from any kind of Java expertise, so just something that I vaguely seem to remember, although it may be from a very long time ago, not applicable, already mentioned by someone, and maybe not relevant at all.. I thus vaguely seem to remember that there existed some option to the JVM to provide a last resort amount of memory, only used if the JVM really ran out of memory, for the purpose of allowing at least some last-ditch desperate action to take place (like logging the catastrophe maybe). I don't remember how it's called or how it works, but maybe it will raise something in some expert's memory.