Carl -

I did have something like this happen to me - not with Tomcat but with
another JEE container.  The container would run for a while, without
incident, then suddenly simply die, with nothing in any log, and not on any
apparent time schedule.

We had some code that was manipulating LDAP that had a leak in it.  For each
leaked connection, we had an open file descriptor that never went away,
until the process went away.  If memory serves, we finally found it by
looking at entries in /proc/{pid of jvm}/fd, doing a bunch of find . | wc
and watching that over time.

I hope this is of some help.  Good luck.

Donn