2010/2/12 Carl <c...@etrak-plus.com>:
> More details: the Dell 105 has an AMD processor and (currently) 8 GB memory.
> The T110 has a Xeon 3440 processor and 4 GB memory.  The current Java
> version is 1.6.0_18-b07.  The current Tomcat version is 6.0.24.

Actually, 6.0.24 version *will* exit silently if it is terminated by a signal.

To reproduce (on Windows):
1. Run Tomcat in a console window.
2. Press Ctrl+C
3. Tomcat shutdowns in several seconds, cleanly, but silently.

That is because in 6.0.24 a VM shutdown hook was added that cleanly
terminates logging subsystem (flushing all cached messages).

The VM starts all shutdown hook threads at the same time and they run
in parallel. Thus if Tomcat is being stopped through a hook, the
logging subsystem has a chance to be already shut down at that time.

I think that the same silent shutdown will occur if calling
System.exit(), by the same reason.

I do not know, what will happen if running Tomcat with jsvc on a Unix.
(IIRC, jsvc calls the stop method in Bootstrap/Catalina, so Tomcat
shuts down not through a hook and all messages should be present).

The above is specific to 6.0.24.  In 6.0.20 logs are forcibly flushed
after each message is written, and log files are never explicitly
closed.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko