millerKiller wrote:
I apologize, I put across my last post a little misleading.  The socket I
showed before is the socket that Tomcat is using when I open it.
Local Address             Foreign Address
-------------            ----------------
127.0.0.1:8005           0.0.0.0.0

I am running tomcat through the loop back address.  When I start the server
then the above shows up in netstat -ano.    When I close the server then it
goes away.  This means that the only program that is using this socket is
the Tomcat that should be using it.  So it isn't a problem with sockets (IP
addresses and port numbers) as far as I can tell.

BTW, a blank page in the browser is often the result of the ROOT webapp
either not being present or >failing to deploy properly.  Make sure you have
a ROOT webapp (case matters, even on Windows), and >check the logs for any
deployment errors.

As far as this last comment, then I am aware that individual projects have a
webapp folder and the tomcat program has its own webapp.  When you talk
about Root webapp, then you are talking about the Tomcat one right?   What
should be in this webapp folder?  Here is what I have:
Folders:
  docs
  examples
  host-manager
  manager

  Root     <====  that should be ROOT, even under Windows

Re-read what Chuck wrote above.

As a matter of fact, re-read ALL the answers you have received, making sure that you do not read only half of them.
netstat -aon
not only shows you which ports are open/LISTENing, it also shows which process has them open.
With the Task Manager, you can see which program matches which process-id.