> From: Hae Loong Chan [mailto:haelo...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5.26 stops responding to all client from
> browser/applets for ~3minutes few times per day
>
> I generated 3 thread dumps during the period (by detecting that no
> activity written to the log file and monitor the network activity) but
> I could not identify the root cause from my application.
> I could see the total number of threads are jumping from 210++ to
> 310++, after that it fall back to 210++. Most of the threads are the
> HTTP Processes.

You need to examine /each/ thread carefully.  (Rather laborious, but
necessary.)  It's likely that just one has locked something critical and caused
everything else to back up behind it.  The "lock" may not be a Java object,
just something logically locked in your webapp.  You may also have a situation
where all the DB connections are tied up processing long-running queries or
updates, again preventing all other threads from accessing the DB.

It's remotely possible that everything is suspended for garbage collection, but
given the duration of the delay, that seems unlikely.  Turn on -verbose:gc to
see if GC events correspond to the pauses.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.