On 23/02/2010 14:19, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Hae Loong Chan [mailto:haelo...@gmail.com]
Subject: Tomcat 5.5.26 stops responding to all client from
browser/applets for ~3minutes few times per day

I generated 3 thread dumps during the period (by detecting that no
activity written to the log file and monitor the network activity) but
I could not identify the root cause from my application.
I could see the total number of threads are jumping from 210++ to
310++, after that it fall back to 210++. Most of the threads are the
HTTP Processes.

You need to examine /each/ thread carefully.  (Rather laborious, but necessary.)  It's
likely that just one has locked something critical and caused everything else to back up
behind it.  The "lock" may not be a Java object, just something logically
locked in your webapp.  You may also have a situation where all the DB connections are
tied up processing long-running queries or updates, again preventing all other threads
from accessing the DB.

It's remotely possible that everything is suspended for garbage collection, but
given the duration of the delay, that seems unlikely.  Turn on -verbose:gc to
see if GC events correspond to the pauses.

Does it occur at the same times every day, or at the same interval?

(External DB backup perhaps?)

  - Chuck

attachments from all computers.