2010/2/24 Carl <c...@etrak-plus.com>:
> rm -rf /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/livonia
> rm -rf /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/default
> rm -rf /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/paragon
1). test  webapp not mentioned
2). note that there are also webapp files in the work/ directory and
there might be a context file in a subdirectory of conf (e.g.
conf/Catalina/localhost/)   If you need a 100% clean run, you may want
to consider explicitly removing all the files from the webapp working
directory in work/.

> strace -o /usr/local/tomcat/logs/trace_log.txt
> /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh

Note that startup.sh  (aka "catalina.sh start") will spawn a new process.
I have never used strace myself, but it unlikely will be able to follow that.

You should try "catalina.sh run" instead.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko