I am refactoring a servlet we have used successfully for several years now to accommodate input that does not amen itself to HttpServletRequest.getParameter()... The only way it seems to be to handle our particular input (the nature/format of the input is covered by an NDA so I can not discuss it in any detail) read the raw request.... in the old servlet HttpServletRequest.getParameter() had a nice side effect that we where able to do something like this:

public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse response)
   throws IOException
{
   handleRequest(request,response);
}

public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse response)
   throws IOException
{
   handleRequest(request,response);
}

private void handleRequest(HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse response)
{
String input=Request.getParameter("foo"); // we are only interested in this one param

   process input
}

I want to preserve the single handler design but since getParameter barfs on our new input format and there is no unified raw input reader the only thing I can think of is make it so doGet and doPost use request.getQueryString() and request.getReader() respectivally... is there an easier way? (namely I want to keep doXXX as pure wrappers with nothing but a dispatch to handleRequest()).