On 21/04/2010 09:54, M.H.G. Emmerig wrote:

> Hello
>
> Our current configuration:
>
> We are running tomcat 6.0.16 on windows 2003 enterprise.
>
> We have a website which consists of an application part and a content part.
> Both are in the same folder structure, eg.
>
> webapps\Root\applicationfiles
> webapps\Root\content\publications
> webapps\Root\content\images

You mean ROOT, I think?

> the application comes as a war file and the content is placed via another
> process.
>
> the folder structure is placed on a windows share.

You've found out why this is a bad idea.

> Our current problem:
>
> Whenever there is a problem with the share, the application crashes,
> because tomcat can't find the application files anymore.
> When the share comes back online, tomcat does not recover from the failure
> and a restart is the only option.
>
> Now I have the following questions:
>
> I think separating the application from the content and placing the
> application local to tomcat (basically on the same machine)
> will solve the recovery issue.

Tomcat isn't likely to recover from a situation where the webapps
directory disappears.

> I know placing everything local to the tomcat will be the best way and
> gives the best performance, but at the moment that is not an option.

Any reason why not?

> The questions
>
> - Will placing the app local to the tomcat solve the recovery issue?

Yes.  There won't be a recovery issue, because the app won't fail when
the share disappears.

> - Is there an easy way to seperate the app and the content, ie. some sort
> of pathsetting ?

If you move the content directory to the top-level, it will become an
application in it's own right.  e.g.

  webapps\content

It will still appear in the URL space as /content