Milko,

On 4/21/2010 4:54 AM, M.H.G. Emmerig wrote:
> webapps\Root\applicationfiles
> webapps\Root\content\publications
> webapps\Root\content\images

Make sure that's ROOT, not Root, unless your webapp really is called "Root".

> the application comes as a war file and the content is placed via another
> process.
>
> the folder structure is placed on a windows share.

Yikes. I've seen clusters using NFS to share a deployment like this...
it doesn't work well.

> Our current problem:
>
> Whenever there is a problem with the share, the application crashes,
> because tomcat can't find the application files anymore.

Yup.

> When the share comes back online, tomcat does not recover from the failure
> and a restart is the only option.

Yup.

> Now I have the following questions:
>
> I think separating the application from the content and placing the
> application local to tomcat (basically on the same machine)
> will solve the recovery issue.

Yes, but the content will seem to disappear and reappear. I'm not an
expert with Tomcat's DefaultServlet, but it does some caching of data
and might actually cache a 404/500 so any interruption of data access
might result in the content disappearing for longer than the share's
disappearance.

> I know placing everything local to the tomcat will be the best way and
> gives the best performance, but at the moment that is not an option.

That's too bad.

> The questions
>
> - Will placing the app local to the tomcat solve the recovery issue?

Tomcat will not have to recover, so, presumably, yes.

> - Is there an easy way to separate the app and the content, ie. some sort
> of pathsetting ?

That depends on how you use your content.