Chuck, please note that when commons-logging.jar is present only in
the WEB-INF/lib directory,
I get the following error:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

So, either I get
a) Invalid class loader hierarchy.  You have more than one version of
'org.apache.commons.logging.Log' visible, which is not allowed.

or

b) java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

I am really stumped. I even tried the following:
<Context>
     <loader delegate=“false”/>
</Context>
which the following link recommends.