That would be a pain because I develop and maintain over 20 apps in a
CVS system and would force major changes on the dir estructure for our
development environments.

I got to this working config

      <Host name="proidev.lardocelar.com" debug="0"
appBase="c:/caixatec/webapps/"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false" deployOnStartup="false">

          <Context path="" docBase="proi" reloadable="true" />

      </Host>

      <Host name="sites_empresa.lardocelar.com" appBase="c:/caixatec/webapps/"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false" deployOnStartup="false">

        <Context path="" docBase="sites_empresa" reloadable="true"/>

      </Host>

It meets my criteria for my local development environment of

1) do not initialize / load all apps on Tomcat Startup
2) control which Hosts are available (to lower resource consumption)
by just commenting out the Host definition
3) have all my apps in the same webapps folder, with onde folder for
each one and no underlying ROOT folder

Would apreciate your comments.
Thanx in advance