I'm trying to re-architect our websites to work in EC2.  One of the biggest
problems I'm running into is the dynamic nature of hostnames and IPs.

Is there a way to tell mod_jk that it has a new worker on a new hostname
without having to reload Apache?  Similarly, to remove an existing worker that
has gone away, or just to change the hostname of a worker.   I'm picturing an
API on the status worker, or something similar.

I don't want to just rewrite workers.properties and do a reload because we have
several long uploads happening at any given time that get interrupted.
Reload/graceful works most of the time, but occasionally locks up the entire
Apache instance, which is no good.

I can't imagine we're the first to run into this problem, but I've done a lot
of looking and can't find anything other than "rewrite workers.properties and
reload Apache."

Current versions:
- Base system: RedHat EL4 (though we are not using their TomCat)
- Apache: v2.0.63 (grabbed RedHat's EL4 2.0.52 SRPM and up-ported it to 2.0.63,
and added a couple patches of our own for various security reasons.)
- tomcat-connectors: v1.2.25
- tomcat: v5.5.17

I'm certainly willing to consider alternate versions if they'll get me the
functionality I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Mark