We use LVS to balance load across our Apache layers already, so I'm quite
familiar with it.

It does do what I want here, except that there are several things we need from
Apache:  Access control, SSL termination, URL path based routing, etc.

I considered using ipvsadm on the Apache box to route traffic to TomCats, but
there is another EC2 specific problem:  All the routing methods LVS uses don't
work on EC2 because they _ONLY_ route TCP, UDP and ICMP:
- Direct Routing messes with Ethernet headers.  Not a chance.
- Tunneling uses IP-in-IP tunneling, which is neither TCP, UDP nor ICMP. *grump*
- NAT gets blocked by the EC2 firewalls, which makes sense.
- I even tried setting up GRE tunnels; no love.

So, yeah.  Thought of that already too.  :-)

Anyone else have any ideas?  So far, modifying /etc/hosts looks like the best
solution, even though it tips my kludge-o-meter past my comfort zone.

-Mark