Just to throw some more experiences in there,
I used to work in a DoD shop where I had to support a mixed environment i.e. IIS + Tomcat. I found it much more convenient to use a isapi_redirect.properties file instead of the registry. It made configuration management easier. It was "portable" in that when I had to add or migrate servers it was a copy/paste operation. Add a vbscript to the package and voila, instant IIS configuration.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <leodona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
To : 'Tomcat Users List' <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Fri May 07 15:02:53 2010
Subject: Re: Isapi_redirect.dll

Martin,

You caught me on an interesting day.  I have an interesting/jaded response.

Short answer: They work nice together when the configuration is correct, and you know what you're doing, and nobody messes with anything. Although, I don't think I really need IIS + Tomcat for what we are doing.

Long answer:
For several years, we have had a GIS website running under IIS + Tomcat, using the isapi_redirect.dll, and that is because we followed the vendor's recommendations. IIS = port 80, Tomcat = port 8080. Try deviating from their specs and you lose tech support, that is unless you can get someone to assist you in their user forums. Their user forums are not the best place to ask Tomcat related questions - *simply my opinion.

IIS + Tomcat makes my head spin. The reason being is that when something is wrong with my servlet or the vendor's webapp, I waste time figuring out whether the isapi_redirect.dll is not working or whether I have some other issue. Case in point, today. My site was down for about 5 hours this morning. I finally tracked it back to: I implemented Tomcat, someone else implements IIS. I upgraded Tomcat, but IIS still had hold of the isapi_redirect.dll in my old tomcat_6.0.20 bin and that tomcat was not running. Ok, tried to fix that. Edit the registry for the isapi dll point to new tomcat bin, restart the server, no luck. Ok, then maybe isapi dll I had is not compatible with newer Tomcat? Chase that question down.... This whole process wastes time when I don't have it to waste.

I ended up turning IIS off and now run my site using Tomcat only. Everything seems to be working fine with just Tomcat serving up static HTTP. I don't even notice a difference.

I still have a lot to learn about using Tomcat.

http://planning.maricopa.gov

Leo