Yes, the release gap is an issue for me as well. Hence this email trail
:-)

Parallelism is achieved for us for other software by package updating
the test/dev server and testing that prior to performing the same
updates on prod. There is no need for us to have two versions of tomcat
running on the same host. So, if the package manager would just stay
up-to-date with tomcat releases it would mean we wouldn't have to have
special practices for Tomcat 6.

I'm pleased to hear that the upgrade process is trivial with your setup.
If you're going to have special practices, they might as well be simple.

On what did you base your init.d scripts? And what is your underlying
distro? We use redhat/fedora.

Dale