I agree with Hassan,

our reasons to use the tar.gz install method :

* in most serious Tomcat environments you need more control over the
installation and configuration than the distro managed version offers.
* most distro's (especially RHEL) are lagging behind, so you don't get the
latest stuff you need
* we also keep an eye on this list and the tomcat website for updates, and
for security patching we use some sort of subscription service from McAfee,
so that should tell us if there are any security patches that need to be
applied quickly.
* it is usable and the same for all platforms we use
* makes the separation of duty easier with our Linux administrators, at
least I am sure I don't get unsolicited updates to my tomcat installations
when they run an update on every package on every linux box
* we run multiple Tomcat instances on the same OS image, that is not what
the disto is facilitating
* better open source support

But the distro packaged version could be very usable for the masses and
non-pro use.

my two cents....

regards,
Harry