Chris,

Christopher Schultz wrote on 09.06.2010 20:31:
It's not terribly unusual to roll a client-specific WAR file for some
reason. In what way does Tomcat "interfere" with your ability to build a
client-specific WAR? Tomcat should not be involved in the WAR-creation
process.
ok, it looks like I expressed myself a bit vague.
Tomcat does not intefere with the WAR-creation, that is done on my development/production system. The user then downloads it from some system onto his/her web server to install it. But what I don't want to do, is to create N different war files for each (potential) customer and having to administer all of these.
To deploy the WAR, simply copy it into the right place with autoDeploy="true",
or manually deploy it using the manager application
if autoDeploy="false".
the problem I mentioned with Tomcat intereferring is only related to the deployment. When the customer puts my WAR-file onto his/her machine, Tomcat's auto-deployment automatically unpacks it and puts it in the appr. places. But then I have no chance of getting the site-specific parameters into the appr files.
What does install4j do that won't let you perform the above steps?
install4j allows me to put up masks where the customer can enter the specific information and then I can replace some place-holders in my files with this information before the files are moved to the appr. places. But if Tomcat cuts in, while the user runs my installation program, the "unconfigured" files are deployed.

How can I "manually deploy [my app] using the manager application"?

My idea would be to include some config programm/script into my WAR-file which Tomcat recognizes and starts automatically, after deploying my stuff. Then I would be able to ask the user for the site-specific information and set up my app's files with that information.

--
Intelligent Communication Software Vertriebs GmbH
Firmensitz: Kistlerhof Str. 111, 81379 München