2010/6/10 André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com>:

> Let me speak for the OP, and for others like me who do not necessarily write
> the applications and filters which they are installing on customer systems.
> Sometimes, you have to deal with such third-party modules, which have to be
> used e.g. as a servlet filter in conjunction with your own application.  And
> sometimes, these third-party modules are like they are and you cannot change
> their code.  And sometimes, they require some site-specific parameters,
> which they expect to be in their respective <filter> section inside the
> application's web.xml file.
> A typical example in my case is authentication servlet filters, which
> require for example a domain name or a domain controller address which is
> specific to each given customer.
> If at the same time you have a customer who insists on receiving war files
> for application updates, you're cooked, because you have to build a
> customer-specific war file every time.
>
> One suggestion I have in the case of Tomcat - and unfortunately only in the
> case of Tomcat - would be an extension mechanism to the web.xml file, which
> would allow some form of "include" in the web.xml.
> (And maybe this would not be an extension, nor a Tomcat-specific thing, if
> XML per se already allowed such things).
> Then one could insert in web.xml something like this :

Servlet 3.0 defines support for "web fragments". Already implemented
in Tomcat 7.

That allows to pack servlets + web.xml fragment + static resources or
JSPs in a jar file to be placed in WEB-INF/lib,
 and web.xml and resources in your war file will take precedence over
ones in those jars, allowing you to customize it for your needs.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko