2010/6/16  <peter_f...@blm.gov>:

> Looking at section 10 of the 6.0 user guide, which describes classloading,
> the text makes perfect sense and matches the way I understand things work.
> However the summary at the end of the section "Class Loader Definitions"
> looks wrong; it basically says that the search order is...
>
> Bootstrap
> $CLASSPATH
> WEB-INF/classes
> WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib/*.jar
>
> ...when my understanding is it should be...
>
> WEB-INF/classes
> WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
> Bootstrap
> $CLASSPATH
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib/*.jar
>
> So, is the documentation just wrong, or have I misunderstood something?

The order is
> Bootstrap
> $CLASSPATH
> WEB-INF/classes
> WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
> $CATALINA_BASE/lib
> $CATALINA_BASE/lib/*.jar
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib/*.jar
as documented.

Note, that many Bootstrap and $CLASSPATH classes are loaded at early
stages of Tomcat startup sequence, that is before classloading
hierarchy itself is created.   It would be a mess if those classes
were ignored.

That is why people should not play with $CLASSPATH, unless in certain
very rare cases.

If you have some documentation changes in your mind, the patches are
welcome. The sources are in webapps/docs/*.xml  .  Create a Bugzilla
issue and attach a diff file there (svn diff or an 'Unified diff'
(diff -u)).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko