Hi Shay

copy of directory structure

C:\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\comlinks\WEB-INF\classes>

I have changed this it incorporate your suggestions.

I attach a copy of web.xml

many thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

John

On 27 June 2010 15:54, Shay Rojansky <r...@roji.org> wrote:
> John,
>
> Can you please send your web.xml as well? I would be it's a misconfigured
> <servlet> in there (the WEB-INF should not be part of the class package
> name, as it appears in your error log).
>
> Shay
>
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 7:55 AM, John Byrne <jbmulti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have installed tomcat 6.0.26 on windows 7.
>>
>> Have installed jdk1.6.0_20 to use with tomcat
>>
>> The javac and java commands both give correct response at dos prompt.
>>
>> The log for server start up reports no errors.
>>
>> The index page displays ok
>>
>> The manager page displays ok
>>
>> The example HelloWorld works ok
>>
>> The application webpages display ok.
>>
>> The problem appears to be with the servlet that reads the form data in
>> html page.
>>
>> I use default install structure for tomcat.  I add a applications
>> folder under TOMCAT 6.0\webapps\ROOT\myfoloder
>> Also add classes folder under tomcat 6.0\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes
>>
>> I attach copy of server start up log and http 500 error text when I
>> use the submit button on html page to activate servlet.
>>
>> would greatly appreciate your help.
>>
>> John Byrne
>>
>> --
>> Mult-i-tel better by design.
>>
>> http://www.multitel.co.uk
>>
>> tel: 44(0)151 548 8122
>> fax: 44(0)709 210 1464
>> skype jcbyrne

Mult-i-tel better by design.

http://www.multitel.co.uk

tel: 44(0)151 548 8122
fax: 44(0)709 210 1464
skype jcbyrne
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee";
   xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd";
   version="2.5">

  <display-name>Welcome to Tomcat</display-name>
  <description>
     Welcome to Tomcat
  </description>

 <servlet>
    <servlet-name>ukjava1900</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>WEB-INF.comlinks.classes.ukjava1900</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>ukjava1900</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/phone</url-pattern>