On Monday 12 July 2010 14:44:19 Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2010/7/12 Rainer Frey <rainer.f...@inxmail.de>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the default case (just one instance, supplied start scripts),
> > CATALINA_BASE is set to CATALINA_HOME. But this assignment,
> >
> > if [ -z "$CATALINA_BASE" ] ; then
> >  CATALINA_BASE="$CATALINA_HOME"
> > fi
> >
> > is done *after* reading setenv.sh. Is this for a specific reason, or just
> > accidently?
>
> I think that in the following lines of
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/bin/catalina.sh?view=mark
> up
>
> 120   if [ -r "$CATALINA_BASE"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
> 121   . "$CATALINA_BASE"/bin/setenv.sh
> 122   elif [ -r "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
> 123   . "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh
> 124   fi
>
> the line 120 should be something like
> if [ -n "$CATALINA_BASE" ] && [ -r "$CATALINA_BASE"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
>
> (that is already fixed in trunk in a different way).
>

> In any case, if CATALINA_BASE is not set,
> $CATALINA_BASE/bin/setenv.sh cannot be read (chicken vs. egg), and in
> that case $CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.sh is read.
>
> That is nearly the same result as if there was assignment
> CATALINA_BASE="$CATALINA_HOME" before.

I understand that, but would it be possible/good/not causing problems to
change this to do CATALINA_BASE="$CATALINA_HOME first, so a setenv.sh can rely
on CATALINA_BASE being set?

> So, what is your problem?
> You must set CATALINA_BASE before calling the standard scripts, if you
> need this feature of distinct CATALINA_HOME vs. CATALINA_BASE. This
> feature is not enabled by default.

I want to know the path to the conf directory in setenv.sh, and I prefer to do
that in a manner that does not depend on whether this setenv.sh is used
in a standard installation with CATALINA_BASE=$CATALINA_HOME or in a multi-
instance setup with
distinct CATALINA_BASE and CATALINA_HOME.

If catalina.sh would do CATALINA_BASE=$CATALINA_HOME before sourcing
setenv.sh, I could always use $CATALINA_BASE/conf in setenv.sh, and would not
need to take care of this distinction again.

So my question essentially is: would you be interested in a patch that changes
catalina.sh, or is there a good reason to leave it as is, and let everybody
sort this out themselves in their setenv.sh?

> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Rainer