Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:

> Can you clarify? Are you using the same version of APR with both Tomcat
> 7 and JBoss? APR 2.1.4 is an unlikely version number. Care to
> double-check?

Correction  : It is jboss web server version 2.1.4 used. APR Version used is
the latest available 1.4.2
Both Jboss Web Server and Tomcat7 are enabled with APR and using JDK6.

>> While doing load testing with HP Load Runner we observed the following
>> response times(seconds) for 100 concurrent users:
>>                             Tomcat7  JbossWebServer-2.1.4    Jboss4.2.3
>> Login                          94.63         38.74                 63.826
>

> Wow... login takes 30 second under the best of conditions? That seems...
> long. Or, is this the total time to serve 100 requests all at once?

It is the average response time of the application when under a load of 100
concurrent users.
For login - authentication is being done from LDAP Server.

> Uhh... there could be many reasons that your webapp runs slowly.

I would recheck the performance stats with 100 users with HTTP protocol
instead of HTTPS and revert back. Mladen Turk  has mentioned that only
constant response time (and not allowing the factors that make it vary like
access to external resources)  - can determine the absolute picture of the
container behavior. I agree on that point - however as you can see the
differences are huge  - specifically the average response time wrt op like
login  to application. Login involves a simple ldap bind and the test case
involves only login with correct pwd.

> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/filter.html#Request_Dumper_Filter
> Note that you will configure this component in web.xml, now, and not in
> context.xml.

Chris, thanks for this info!.

Shivani