Or, just remove the ThreadLocal manually. Since you know it's name, it
should be easy to remove. There are two obvious ways to remove these
ThreadLocals in a webapp:

1. Modify all the code that uses the iCal4j library so that, after
performing it's iCal4j operations, you manually remove the ThreadLocals.

I don't understand how to do that.  I have local objects that I create from
the library.  Once I'm done with them, they go out of scope and are given
to the garbage collector.  However, the ThreadLocal's are static to the
class, and the library offers no way to access them.  Is there some way to
find them?

Hmm, now that I think about it, Tomcat found them.  I guess I should
look at the Tomcat source.

2. Write a Filter that removes any ThreadLocals once the request has
been completed.

Again, I'm not sure how to do that.