Marc,

On 9/1/2010 4:13 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>  Hello -  I am running a Tomcat6.0 server both stand-alone and with
> Eclipse, and am in the process of developing a webapp that I will want
> to make available to all our users via a server side include statement.

Uhh... you want the webapp to be available via SSI? I'm pretty sure
that's the problem of whoever wants to use your service. You can't
configure SSI on someone else's site. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

> I have this working in a limited sense, in that I got it working using
> the filter version but was unsuccessful getting the servlet version
> working, which is acceptable. (I am not clear on what the real
> difference between the two approaches is, documentation is non-existent
> as far as I could find).

Do http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/ssi-howto.html and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/ssi.html#basic count as
non-existent? Or were you thinking of more involved documentation?

> Anywise, what I have working, works so long as the <!--#include
> virtual="somefile.html" --> is in a .shtml file, but this will be
> unacceptable. I need this feature to also work from inside normal .html
> and .htm as well as .jsp files as that is what our users will expect. I
> have fooled around with the filter-mapping segment in the server's
> web.xml file but so far no joy in finding a solution.

You will have to use filter mapping in order to post-process your .jsp
and other dynamic pages: a servlet can't be wrapped around another
servlet (such as the JSPServlet, which you don't have to map yourself)
for this kind of thing. So, stick with the filter.

> Searches (lots of em!) on the internet have not provided me with an
> answer, though I have gotten hints that it is doable.  Could some kind
> guru help me grok this and guide me to the light?  Many thanks in
> advance....

What is the complete configuration for your <filter> and
<filter-mapping> for the aforementioned filter? It should be as simple
as setting up multiple <url-pattern>s for the URL patterns that you want
to have run through the SSI filter.

Note that you should be able to set up SSI in a single webapp instead of
modifying the conf/web.xml file as described in the SSI documentation. I
find this cleaner, as you will only end up making SSI available in a
specific webapp instead of across all webapps deployed onto the server.
The <filter-mapping> itself should definitely only be included in your
webapp's META-INF/web.xml file.