2010/9/11 Wesley Acheson <wesley.ache...@gmail.com>:
> HI I'm trying to build tomcat 5.5 trunk (to look further at Marks
> comment. http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=128350009319985&w=2 ).
>
> Trying to run ant download on build.xml gives me an error.  Does the
> build.xml depend on me having subversion installed on my machine? The
> error I get when trying to run ant with no arguments is:
>

> C:\icarus\workspace\tc5.5\build\resources\build.xml:120: The following
> error occurred while executing this line:
> C:\icarus\workspace\tc5.5\build\resources\build.xml:101: Execute
> failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "svn": CreateProcess
> error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
>
> However building.txt implies its only needed to checkout source which
> I've already done.

If you already have the sources then use build/build.xml to build
Tomcat. You do not need the build/resources/build.xml file.

(Do not forget to create build/build.properties file and set
"base.path" property there to an appropriate value).

Until about a year ago (until tc4.1.x was retired), Tomcat 5.5 sources
were scattered among several subprojects.  When the sources were
stored in CVS, the build/resources/build.xml file was used as a
wrapper around cvs to download those sources from proper places. See
e.g.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc5.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_5_5_0/build/resources/build.xml

When the source were migrated to Subversion it became possible to use
the svn:externals feature to replace several cvs calls with a single
svn call,  and now the svn layout is further simplified.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko