Hello,

I've spent a week looking into mod_jk, Apache, etc., and the problem appears to
be due to a bug in the AJP connector within JBoss:

https://jira.jboss.org/browse/JBPAPP-366

This bug is not fixed in the latest release of JBoss 4.2.3, which is rather
disappointing.  After downloading the jbossweb-2.0.1-GA source from subversion,
patching, recompiling with Java 1.5 (if you want it to work on the Java 1.5 and
1.6 versions of JBoss 4.2.3), the problem disappears.

While solving this problem, I identified the need for a debug statement to be
generated from mod_jk when the poll(..) fails, i.e. waited 2 seconds and
discovered the socket was not being shut properly.  Mladen has kindly added
this to the next release.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed and if I have any further updates, I will
let you know.

John